Please join us on April 6th for an exciting symposium addressing issues raised by Professor Amanda Tyler’s new book, Habeas Corpus in Wartime: From the Tower of London to Guantanamo Bay (Oxford University Press). Habeas Corpus in Wartime tells the story of the writ of habeas corpus in wartime over the course of Anglo-American history, from its origins in English law to the special challenges presented by 21st Century warfare to our understanding of the habeas corpus privilege.
Our symposium on Habeas Corpus in Wartime will bring together some of the nation’s top jurists and legal scholars to debate timely issues raised by the book, including: the role of habeas corpus in our constitutional framework, the role of history in constitutional interpretation, and the separation of powers in wartime, among others.
The symposium will take place at Berkeley Law in Booth Auditorium on April 6, 2018 from 9:00am to 4:00pm with a reception to follow. Please share widely, and direct any questions to Symposium Editor Daniel Contreras.
9:00-10:45 am: Welcoming Remarks and Panel 1
Welcoming Remarks: Djenab Conde, Editor in Chief, California Law Review, Daniel Contreras, Symposium Editor, California Law Review
• Jack Rakove, Stanford University (moderator)
• Paul D. Halliday, University of Virginia
• Vicki C. Jackson, Harvard Law School
• James E. Pfander, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
• Saikrishna Prakash, University of Virginia School of Law
• Karen M. Tani, University of California, Berkeley School of Law
10:45-11:00 am: Coffee Break
11:00 am-12:30 pm: Panel 2
• Justice Leondra R. Kruger, Supreme Court of California (moderator)
• Judge Amy Coney Barrett, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
• Judge Thomas B. Griffith, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
• Judge John B. Owens, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
• Judge Amul R. Thapar, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
• Judge Paul J. Watford, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
12:30-2:00 pm: Lunch break
2:00-4:00 pm: Panel 3 and Concluding Remarks
• Judge Marsha Berzon, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (moderator)
• Martin S. Lederman, Georgetown University Law Center
• Robert S. Litt, Morrison & Foerster (formerly General Counsel for the Director of National Intelligence)
• Jenny S. Martinez, Stanford Law School
• Stephen I. Vladeck, University of Texas School of Law
• Douglas Letter, Georgetown University Law Center (formerly Department of Justice, Civil Division, Appellate)
Concluding Remarks: Judge William A. Fletcher, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and Professor Amanda L. Tyler, University of California, Berkeley School of Law
Reception to follow.
Annual Alumni Banquet
Please join us for CLR’s annual Alumni Banquet on Thursday, April 12th at 6:00pm at the Faculty Club. Please click here for registration and additional details.