Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of California Law Review. Students may seek membership after completion of their first year of study at Berkeley Law. If you have any questions about becoming a member after reviewing the information below, please contact Senior Development Editor Chantel Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To become a member of California Law Review, students must satisfy the following preliminary requirements:
1. Applicant must be a student registered at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law in one of the following programs:
- Concurrent Degree Programs
- JD/ JSP
- JD/ MA (four years)
- JD/ MA/PhD (Economics Department, JSP)
- JD/ MBA (Haas)
- JD/ MCP (Department of City and Regional Planning)
- JD/ MJ (Graduate School of Journalism)
- JD/ MPP (Goldman School of Public Policy)
- JD/ MSW (Graduate School of Social Welfare)
2. Applicant must have completed one year of study at Berkeley Law.
3. Applicant must not have already received a JD at Berkeley Law or any other law school.
Ways to Become a Member
There are two ways to become a member of California Law Review, either by successfully participating in the Write-On Competition or by publishing a piece on California Law Review.
This competition is held annually after the completion of the spring semester for rising second-year students and in the beginning of the fall semester for transfer students. During the 10-day competition, applicants complete a casenote, editing packet, and a personal statement. Membership decisions are made solely on these components. Grades are not considered. Both successful continuing student applicants and transfer students will be notified over the summer, prior to On-Campus Interview Week, and start membership duties in the fall semester. Please see the Write-On Competition page for more information.
PUBLISHING A PIECE ON CALIFORNIA LAW REVIEW
California Law Review welcomes submission of student pieces from Berkeley Law students pursuing JD and concurrent degree programs. If a submission is accepted for publication before March 1 of the student’s 3L year, an offer of membership may accompany the publication offer. Please see the Notes page for more information.